Sunday 10 June 2007

The Drowsy Chaperone

That's the name of the show we saw on Friday night and we LOVED it. Problem is, that part of what made it so great was that we didn't really know what to expect, so I don't feel as though I should write too detailed a review because I don't want to potentially spoil it for anyone.

To sum it up in similar terms to what I had read before I went in, a middle-aged guy puts on the record of his favourite cast recording, The Drowsy Chaperone and suddenly the 1920s musical comes to life in his apartment. I guess it's categorised as a musical comedy and it lives up to both elements - there are some great 20s style musical numbers and the whole thing is hilarious. The unique approach to telling the story and to musical theatre in general is great and makes it instantly stand out from the other things we saw this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment